Kochi is a place in Kerala. It is like never heard of this place. Not much in Google. Well actually name was Cochin and with Policies of Indian Government; names of places changed.
The first was Bombay, it became Mumbai. Then Calcutta became Kolkata. Well Bengalis were calling it Kolkata anyway.
Cochin was known to the Greeks and Romans. Specifically, the Ionians and that is why they are called Yavanas.
The state of Cochin came into existence in 1102.
Zeng He ,the Chinese Admiral came to deliver tablets from the Ming Dynasty. This was since Cochin was a protectorate of the Ming Dynasty.
Kochi(Cochin) is 4 hours drive from Calicut, the Port city. This where Vasco De Gama landed in 1498.
The earliest documented reference to Kochi(Cochin) in history is by Chinese Traveler Ma Huan in the 15th century with the Chinese Muslim Admiral Zeng He.
A short historical summary:
- 1102- Kingdom of Cochin formed.
- 1440-Italian Traveler Niccolò Da Conti visits Kochi.
- 1500-Portugese Traveler Pedro Alvares Lands.
- 1503-Kingdom of Kochi is taken over by Portuguese
- 1663- Portuguese overthrown by Dutch.
- Mysore King Hyder Ali ,father of Tippu Sultan conquers Kochi.
- 1814-Anglo-Dutch city transfers city officially to United Kingdom.
- 1947- State of India is formed.
- Kochi Corporation comes into existence.
Places to Visit in Kochi.
- MattanCherry Palace—A Portuguese palace. -H
- Fort Koichi -H
- Jewish Synagogue
- Marine Drive -S
- Jew Town –home to Jews settled since 700 BC.
- Princess Street—European Homes
- Lulu Mall-owned by Yusuf Ali, the Chairman of LuLu Group. The Group that owns Capital Mall in UAE and Riyadh Avenue Mall in Saudi Arabia.
Splitting of Moon and Kerala King
An interesting event surrounds Kerala regarding the Muslim faith.
This concerns the splitting of the moon by the Prophet Muhammad. (pbuh) ,22 years before Hijra. That is 600 CE.
(This event is a topic itself and subject to controversy (put forward critics) but it is related in this post since ,concerns Kerala also.)
The Muslim Hadith says :
Narrated Anas bin Malik: “The people of Mecca asked Allah’s Apostle to show them a miracle. So he showed them the moon split in two halves between which they saw the Hiram’ mountain.”
The companion Abdullah bin Abbas (RA)also narrated :
“During the lifetime of Allah’s Apostle the moon was split (into two places).”
– Sahih Bukhari:5:58:210
The Meccan polytheists asked the Prophet Muhammad(SA) to show a miracle. That was to split the moon into half.
The Quran says in Surah Qamar:
“The hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and
The moon is cleft asunder.
But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say
“This is (but) transient magic.”
They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time.
There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is (enough) to check (them),
Mature wisdom― but (the preaching of) Warners profits them not.”
A king in Kerala named Cheraman Perumal witnessed this event(according to Muslim sources). Though it is a title given to Kerala Kings of Chera Dynasty.
Some Muslim Arabs were visting Kodungallore (Kodungallur)at that time. It is a town located in Thrissur District of Kerala,India.
Later the King travelled to Makkah and met with Prophet Muhammad and became a Muslim with name of Tajuddin. He married King of Jeddah and died on his way back. He died in Salalah ,Oman.
This is an article by itself.(if you want to read it)
Some Links :
Whether you the reader believes this story is up to you. Muslims believe it though the details of the Kerala King who abdicated his throne to travel to Makkah is not clear.
But facts are :
- The First documented Masjid outside Saudi Arabia was in Kerala ,629 CE.
- MGS Narayanan writes in Perumals of Kerala about Cheruman Perimals oF kerala propagating Islam
Anyway we are not discussing this topic in details , maybe in another post.
The Mosque is called Cheruman Perumal mosque is located in Thrissur District, Kerala.
Malik bin Dinar Mosque ,built in 722 AD in Kasaragod District,Kerala
So the Muslim community being prominent in Kerala is seen.
People coming to Cochin or Kochi usually come for Tourism and Medical Checkup. Apart from Medical treatment, there